International Dance Theatres Festival in Lublin
since the first edition in 1997, belongs to the biggest cultural events in Lublin, and later became also one of the most important dance theatres festivals in Poland and Eastern Europe. With regard to its geographical location, the city of Lublin seems to be a very special point on the artistic map of Europe, especially after the expansion of European Union. The cultures of the East and West have been clashed for many centuries here and we believe that cultural events taking place in Lublin nowadays should bring the two worlds closely together and that mutual relations should be friendly and peaceful.
Our idea is that the Festival should facilitate mutual recognition and understanding, exchange of experience and ideas, it should also encourage the inspiration of other cultures between Poland and other East European countries and the „western world". We believe that contemporary dance is a special art not limited by any frontiers, which does not require the knowledge of foreign languages. It is a fully democratic art, open to other art domains and addressed to sensitive people looking for real authenticity in the artistic activities. Expected results and long term benefits of the Festival in Lublin are:
- a fuller knowledge of and closer relationship between cultures of participating countries
- promotion of contemporary dance makers and their work, a stimulus to cultural exchange and co-operation of artists
- making the contemporary dance audience larger due to presentations, workshops and media participation in the promotion of festival events
- enhancement of contemporary dance criticism, education of opinion -makers
- enhancement of skills and acquisition of new experiences by young dancers and choreographers by means of educational activities offered in the frames of the festival
- incentive for dance teachers, especially for those working in smaller centres in the range of cultural activity organisation connected with contemporary dance, a stimulus to the start of co-operation between dance centres
Presentations of professional dance theatres performances from all over the world
Photo exhibitions of works inspired by dance
Contemporary dance workshops (dance techniques, composition, light designing)
Lectures conducted by dance makers, choreographers, theoreticians and critics from all over the world
Till year 2005 almost 20 000 spectators, 200 artists and 1000 workshop participants took part in the International Dance Theatres Festival in Lublin. High artistic and organizational level of the Festival is acknowledged by central and regional institutions: Ministry of Culture and National Heritage, the Municipality of Lublin and The Lublin Voivodeship Marshall Office, which patronise and support the Festival from its first edition.
High artistic and organizational level of the Lublin event is also acknowledged by other important Partners of the Festival: US Embassy in Warsaw, Royal Netherlands Embassy, Embassies of Canada, Israel and Norway, British Council and Pro Helvetia, who since years trust the organisers and belong to our main donors.
Festival's events have been always intensively transmitted and related by local and national media, e.g. Polish Television, Newsweek, Gazeta Wyborcza, Radio Lublin.